Pomfret or Pamflet....is not my favorite but whenever I find the white pomfrets in the frozen section of Indian food market or the fresh ones in Chinese supermarkets...I make sure to buy them. My husband loves Pomfret prepared with poppy seeds and green chilies. In summer, I usually avoid using poppy seeds and so this time I bought pomfret keeping in mind to make something different other then curry or fry. My plan was to make oven baked stuffed pomfret, but was not sure how it would turn out. But beyond all my expectations, the fish came out really well...perfectly cooked, very moist...simply melts in your mouth.....the super-soft baked pomfret ready to be devoured.
The best point of baked food is that the it is cooked with very little oil or fat and is full of tastes as it cooks more within its own oil.
- 2 big white Pomfrets
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.4 tsp Salt
- A pinch of Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 medium Onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 medium Tomato, very finely chopped
- 2-3 Green Chilies, finely slitted
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- Salt, according to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil/Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter, melted
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoon Tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder
- Mix together the ingredients for the 'marination' in a small bowl.
- Wash, clean and dry the fish. Carefully slit the fish from the head down the belly till the tail on both the sides. Apply the marination and leave aside for half an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the stuffing mixture by stir-frying all the ingredients required 'for stuffing' in one tablespoon olive oil. Keep aside.
- In a small separate bowl, mix together all the ingredients required 'for coating'.
- Preheat oven at 375degrees C.
- Grease a baking tray and arrange the slitted Pomfrets on the greased tray.
- Now divide the prepared stuffing mixture into four equal parts and stuff the mixture into the slits of both the fishes.
- After stuffing, apply the 'coating' mixture carefully with the help of a brush, all over the fish on both the sides. (take care while turning the stuffed fish)
- Bake uncovered on middle oven rack 20-25minutes. Turn fish halfway through baking.
- Serve hot with slices of lemon wedges, steamed rice and salad.