This recipe is my own invention. Palak or spinach, i love this green vegetable only and only if it is not made in combination with potato. Yes......I do not like to eat aloo-palak at all but love to eat palak-paneer, palak-parantha or saag-chicken. So one day just thought to combine aloo-palak with chicken and must say....its a delightful combination.
- One big bunch of spinach (fresh green ones)
- 1 big sized Potato, sliced thinly
- 1 lbs Chicken, skinned and cubed
- 1 medium sized Tomato (crushed)
- 4-5 Green chillies
- 1 medium size Onion (chopped fine)
- 1 clove Garlic (chopped fine)
- 4 tsp Milk
- 1-2 sticks Cinnamon
- 2-3 Whole cardamoms
- 4-5 Whole cloves
- 1 tsp Whole cumin seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Coriander-Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili powder
- Salt (according to taste)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee/Butter
- Wash the spinach, cut them into big pieces. Heat 1/4 tsp oil in a wide skillet. First add green chillies to hot oil, and then add spinach. Turn the heat to medium and cover the skillet. Wait for 2-3 minutes and then turn off the heat. Wait few minutes to cool. Add them to a blender and also a pinch of salt - blend to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in Kadai/Frying Pan. Fry the thinly sliced potatoes. Keep aside.
- Add cinnamon, cardomom, cloves, whole red pepper, bay leaves and cumin seeds. As soon as they start sputtering add the chopped onion & garlic. Fry till golden brown.
- Add red chili powder and Coriander-Cumin powder with 2 tsp water. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle with 1 tbs water. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces. Mix well. All the chicken pieces should be completely covered by the masala. Cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes with continous stirring and adding 1 tsp milk at a time.
- Simmer until the chicken is tender (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add spinach paste and fried potatoes to the pan.
- Cook until spinach starts sticking to the pan (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add Ghee/butter and cover until ready to serve with rice.
Sending this to Food palette series Green and giveaway
Linking it to Hearth 'n Soul Blog Hop
Good chefs always taste their Recipe.....Go Ahead....And say Wow.