One cup soozi(Rava)
Half cup plain yoghurt
One tsp baking powder
Salt (according to taste)
- One onion finely chopped
- One green chili finely chopped
- Red chili powder
- Mix yoghurt with little water,beat for 2-3 minutes. Mix it with soozi. The batter of yoghurt and soozi should be to the consitency of neither too thin nor too thick.
- Add salt and baking powder.
- Meanwhile mix finely chopped onions, green chilis with little salt and red chili powder.
- Pour 1 tbsp of soozi batter into the idli maker stand. Now put some onion mixture on the batter and again cover this onion mixture with one more tbsp of soozi batter.
- Keep your idli stand on high for 6-7 minutes(on gas stove).Idlis are ready.
- You can even give them a shallow frying using ghee or butter.....You can also put any stuffing you like.....i make them with ground mutton,even with different flavours of sausages,or with dryfruits........
For Sambhar Masala:
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp peppercorns
- 2-3 Red Chili, dry
- 1 tbsp rice
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp Coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp Olive/Vegetable Oil
- 1cup Yellow dal - Toor/Arhar dal
- 1 cup Mix Vegetables
- Half size Cauliflower florets
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, diced
- 3 Green Chilies, chopped
- 4 tbsp Tamarind Juice/Soya sauce
- 2 tbsp Jaggery/Sugar
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINUTES COOKING TIME: 20-25 MINUTES
- Boil dal with little salt, turmeric powder and ghee for 6-7 pressures.
- Dry roast chana dal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns, red Chilis, and rice on a low for 8-10 minutes. Take care that the spices do not burn.
- Transfer above ingredients to a bowl.
- In the above pan heat oil. Add garlic cloves and ginger. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add grated coconut and half of the above mentioned tomatoes.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes and transfer them to the bowl containing spices. Let it cool for few minutes.
- Transfer above ingredients to a grinder and process to a fine paste by adding required amount of water.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When they start to crackle, add onions and turmeric powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add curry leaves, green chillies, mix vegetables and cauliflower florets. Cook for 1-2 minute.
- Then add red chilli powder, rest of the tomatoes, tamarind juice/soya sauce and water.
- Let water comes to a boil,then add prepared sambhar masala. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Then add mashed boiled dal and 3-4 cups of water.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Let it boil for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
- Add freshly chopped cilantro.The consistency of sambhar should not be thick at all.